Are you looking for the best shaving cream warmer?
Using a warmer (also known as a hot lather machine) can help you improve your shaving experience and enjoy a much more comfortable session by heating up your shaving cream, foam or gel at the right temperature to ease the work of the razor blade.
Thanks to these machines you can reap the benefits of a hot shave at home, with complete safety and without ruining your cream or gel.
The Benefits of Using a Shaving Cream Warmer
Warming machines heat up shaving cream or gel at the right temperature to help you cut away facial hair with fewer accidents.
They make the task of shaving a little bit easier and pleasurable, especially during the cold months of the year!
Once the shaving cream has achieved the right temperature, the machine will keep it warm for as long as you continue applying it.
The main benefit of using a tool like this one is that it helps open up the pores and softening whiskers, so your beard comes off easier when you pass the razor, reducing irritation, tugging and hair-pulling.
It gives you the benefits of shaving after a hot shower but faster.
Warmers work with cream and gel cans. They have a system that makes them compatible with all standard-size cans, although now you can also find models designed to fit bigger cans in the market.
Types of Shaving Cream Warmers
There are basically two types of shaving cream warmers:
- Warmers with universal fitting made to hold standard shaving cream cans. They are used mostly by people who just want to warm up the cream they currently use. These warmers give you more freedom when it comes to select a product, be it for its brand or its scent.
- Warmers that use a shaving cream concentrate. This cream concentrate is perfect for barbershops, but you won’t find a big selection of brands such as the ones you can find when using a universal fitting shaving cream warmer. However, the brands that you do find are all high quality.
How Do We Evaluate Shaving Cream Warmers?
Price. The best products always come with a higher price. In general, you can expect to spend between $50 and $250 on a good warmer/dispenser, although you have to keep in mind that the most expensive ones are for continuous use.
Durability and quality. The product has to be durable enough to have safely it by your side when we are in the bathroom, so if it falls, nothing happens. A good brand with a guarantee says a lot about the product.
Compatibility. If you like to use different canned shaving products, it is better to choose one in which all fit. Now, if you expect to use your high quality shaving cream like Proraso or Art of Shaving, I’m afraid you will not be able to use them with these machines.
Ease of use. Since we only want the shaving cream to warm up to the ideal temperature, we need quick and simple controls. At the same time, we need a machine capable of heating up quickly and without spoiling our products.
Best Hot Lather Machines of 2018
These days you can find a great variety of hot lather machines in the market. From the ones that can be used for foam or gel exclusively, to machines that can fit both types of products at the same time.
We’ve tested the best shaving cream warmer machines here at Shaving Pro, and these are the ones we recommend because they work good, fast and have a good price!
1. Conair HGL1 Combination Hot Gel/Lather Machine
You may know Conair from their hair dryers, but this company also manufactures high-quality bathroom appliances. A clear example of this, is this shaving cream warmer & dispenser designed to work with all brands of shaving cream or gel canisters.
Its size is perfect if you don’t have a big bathroom, and the machine keeps the shaving cream at a comfortable temperature. This warmer works with a power connection, using a 120V adapter.
Of all the compact heating systems on the market, this is the one that best does its job, and comes with an affordable price too. Of course, it is not designed for excessive use, such as in barbershops. But for personal use it is an excellent alternative, especially considering that Conair offers a one year warranty.
Using the HGL1NR is very easy. Just turn the machine on and wait until the light indicator stops blinking. This means the shaving cream is warm. It can take a few minutes to heat up in cold climates so it’s a good idea to take a hot shower in the meantime.
The only bad thing about this product is that it is designed to be used with canisters, so if you use high quality shaving creams, it will not be of much use. That said, the product works great, we recommend it.
2. Conair HLM10 Hot Lather Machine
The Conair HLM10 is one of the highest-rated warmers out there. It is able to put our shaving cream at the right temperature at only a minute, retaining the heat as long as you leave it on.
It works with all standard size bottles you can find in supermarkets and it is surprisingly durable! I’ve been using one of these for five years in a row and I’ve never had a problem with it. It comes with a detailed and easy-to-follow guide that will help you get the most out of it.
The only drawback is that this warmer doesn’t work with gels. But if you don’t use them it is an excellent alternative.
3. Lather King Hot Latherizer Machine
If you want to go full pro with your shaving session, you can try using the Lather King Hot Latherizer Machine. This warmer is more expensive than smaller machines, but it works much better too! That’s why it is the best shaving cream warmer for barber shops and men who are serious about their shaving experience.
The machine is fully protected against rust and corrosion. It works with a special liquid soap and distilled water. It is perfect for barber shops accustomed to taking care of several shaves a day. If you are planning to use it a home, make sure you clean it regularly to avoid clogging issues.
How to Use a Cream/Gel Warmer
Using a warming device is actually very easy. These machines come with a tool to take the top off a standard cans.
- Pop the top of the can off and introduce the can into the warmer.
- Close the lid and enter your desired heating settings.
- In about 1 or 2 minutes, depending on the warmer mode, you will have the cream or gel ready, and you can apply on your face.
The top-rated machines out there have a timer and a sound or blink will let you know.
When you’ve finished with the can, you simply take it off and replace it with another following the same procedure.
- Remember to shake your can of cream before putting it on a dispenser. This is something that the dispenser will not do for you. A lot of issues stem from not shaking the can before use.
- Experiment with the heating settings. You can read many recommendations online, but the right amount of heat will vary from person to person.
- Keep your eye on the light. These machines have light indicators that let you know when the cream has reached the desired temperature.
- Do not overlook safety features of a hot lather machine, even the top-rated products must be handled with care. The outside of the unit should not get too hot or else it will be dangerous to manipulate. Look for units with auto shut-off, which will turn on the machine as long as the cream is cool.
- If you need a warmer for a barbershop, you might want to look for bigger machines, capable of working for many hours a day without breaking down.
Where Can I Buy These Warmers/Dispensers?
The alternatives we’ve recommended here can be found on Amazon. The online shopping site is a good alternative if you have free shipping, as these machines have huge discounts from time to time.
Popular models tend to be unavailable due to high demand though, in which case it’s a good idea to look for one in the beauty section of your favorite department store.
Remember, choose products that have a guarantee so you can replace them in case they stop working right.